Somehow I've managed to keep this blog since February and not even mention the Run 4 Kids Team. That's more than a little silly. How is that even possible? It's time to right that wrong.
I have been a member of the Run 4 Kids Team since 2008. We fund raise for Missoula Youth Homes, a foster care organization that helps kids who can no longer live with their families for any number of depressing reasons. Each year team members have a goal of raising $1,000 and completing either the half or full marathon in honor of the Youth Homes kids. In 2008 I nearly reached my goal, raising a total of $916 and completing my first half marathon. In 2009 I exceeded my goal, raising a total of $1,091 and once again finishing the half marathon. This year my goal is to raise $1,000 (and maybe even beat my total from last year) and run my very first full marathon.
So the running and the fund raising go hand in hand. If I weren't a member of the Run 4 Kids Team I would probably still run - maybe 5k's and 10k's. But I don't think that I would be a marathoner. Because that's what I'm becoming - a marathoner! And it's thanks in part to these kids who are faced with immense obstacles but find the strength to overcome them.
If you'd like to make a donation you can find me online at www.firstgiving.com/shandylemperle. And if you'd like to learn more about Youth Homes you can visit them online at www.youthhomes.com.
*************************************************
Je fais ce blog depuis le mois de février mais je n’ai pas encore parlé de l’équipe Run 4 Kids (courir pour les enfants). Comment est-ce possible ? Il faut corriger cette faute !
Je suis membre de l’équipe Run 4 Kids depuis 2008. Nous ramassons des fonds pour Missoula Youth Homes, une organisation qui aide les enfants qui ne peuvent plus habiter chez leur parents pour de nombres raisons (abus, drogue, etc.). Chaque coéquipier a le but de ramasser 1 000 $ et de courir le marathon ou le semi marathon de Missoula au mois de juillet. En 2008 j’ai presque atteint mon but – j’ai ramassé 916 $ et fini le semi marathon. En 2009 j’ai atteint mon but – j’ai ramassé 1091 $ et j’ai encore fait le semi marathon. Cette année je souhaite ramasser au moins 1 000 $ (et ça serait encore mieux si je surpassais les 1 091 $ de l’année dernière) et finir mon tout premier marathon.
Pour moi la course et le ramassage de fonds sont liés. Si je ne faisais pas partie de l’équipe je courrais sûrement quand même – peut être des distances comme 5 kilomètres ou 10 kilomètres. Mais je ne pense pas que je serais une marathonière (ok, peut être que j’ai créé un mot là mais vous voyez ce que je veux dire). Ça, c’est grâce en partie à ces enfants qui arrivent à faire face à de nombreux obstacles.
Si vous souhaitez faire un don mon site est www.firstgiving.com/shandylemperle. Et si vous voulez en savoir plus sur Youth Homes leur site est www.youthhomes.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment